We at Metal understand that some of you are interested in learning more specifics about our unique distribution system called PoPP. This 3 post series is for you.
Before we dive in, we’d like to zoom out and remind you of our big picture goal. While it’s true that Metal is centralized now, our distribution model PoPP will not remain exclusive to Metal Pay, or even to Metal. Yes, Metal Pay will help introduce cryptocurrency to the masses in a customer-facing app like nothing the crypto world has seen. But Metal Pay also lets us at Metal test our PoPP distribution model and make adjustments as needed before we release the PoPP ruleset to the world in our own blockchain. The Metal Blockchain will allow other cryptocurrencies to build apps around the PoPP distribution model to facilitate mass adoption of cryptocurrency.
Okay, time to zoom back in. You’ve probably seen and heard us talking about Pop, the reward you get inside of Metal Pay that is distributed via PoPP. But how much can you get? How do you get more?
This post will focus on how Pop scoring will work in the launch version and future versions of Metal Pay. Hopefully, you’ve already read Volume I and Volume II and know all about PoPP distribution, how you get paid in Pop, and how to raise your Pop score.
But how does Pop scoring work, and what does your Pop score influence? Keep reading!
Pop scoring in launch version of Metal Pay
If you’ve read Volume II, you know that the Pop scoring system is very complex and requires us having a deep understanding of how people use Metal Pay. We don’t want all of our users easily getting the maximum reward of up to 5%, because it would diminish the gamification element of Metal Pay. At the same time, we don’t want to make the maximum reward of up to 5% impossible to achieve. We have to strike a balance between these, which requires a lot of data to get right. Because of this, the Pop scoring system will NOT be finalized until at least a few months after we launch the initial version of Metal Pay.
If you’re an early adopter of Metal Pay, this is great news for you! Why? Because all users will be eligible to receive up to 5% back right from the start in our launch version of Metal Pay! As a reminder, being eligible for up to 5% back does not guarantee you will get 5% back, as the total reward handed out to all users in Metal Pay is capped to 50 MTL every 10 minutes. Refer back to Volume I if that sentence didn’t make sense to you, and don’t worry, we’ll still be here when you get back.
Pop scoring in future versions of Metal Pay
What about future versions of Metal Pay once we integrate Pop score? Here is a brief summary of what you can expect:
- All users who successfully pass KYC are eligible for Pop.
- Users will start with the same Pop score.
- Users will not begin at the maximum reward of up to 5% back.
- By increasing their Pop score, a user can reach up to 5% back.
- By decreasing their Pop score, a user can reach as low as 0% back.
- Users will be able to see their Pop score.
- Users will not be able to see a friend’s Pop score.
- Users may opt-in to reveal their Pop score to others, which could help with getting discounts from merchants or loans from lenders, for example.
- Users will be given information on what they should try to do to raise their score.
- Users will see the target score needed to reach a maximum of up to 5% back.
- There will be a lifetime maximum amount of Pop that a user can claim.
- Each user will have their own lifetime maximum limit, which is influenced by their Pop score.
- During certain promotional events, users will have a limited opportunity to claim a larger percentage back than they normally would.
- For example, a user with a Pop score that allows them to receive “up to 5% back”, may be eligible to receive “up to 10% back” during a 2x promotion event.
- Some events may be restricted to users with higher than average Pop scores.
And that's it for Volume III! We hope this blog series helped you understand more of the finer details behind Pop and PoPP.
Subscribe to Metal
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox